Friday, May 16, 2008

National Bike to Work Day
Friday, May 16, 2008

May is the League of American Bicyclists' National Bike Month, with a variety of events scheduled all over the country to promote interest in riding. Today in particular is Bike to Work Day. The New York Bicycling Coalition has put together a pretty extensive support network for the Albany area, including a rallies at the state capitol. While I can't take part in those (they kind of expect me to be at work!) I can definitely ride to work! (Actually, I should ride to work every day, but this year I've been too lazy to get going early enough to do so - while the ride takes about the same amount of time as my driving there, I need an extra 5-10 minutes to change clothes once I arrive. Maybe today will help convince me to leave the car at home and take my bike to work more often, in the few weeks of school that are left this year.)

********

Ended up leaving the house later than I'd wanted (in part because I had to reassemble the Dawes after doing some work on it Wednesday night) so the morning ride was rushed, especially at work when I changed clothes. But the ride in felt pretty good (other than my legs once again feeling like they were full of concrete) - I always enjoy getting some fresh air on the way to work and typically find myself wishing I could keep riding when I get there.

Had some light drizzle on the way home, but nothing too bad, and the riding felt even better than it did in the morning. If not for the necessity of driving to Rochester tonight (since I need to be at Mendon a little before 8 AM to check in for the Spring Classic Du) I might have dropped off my bag and gone out for a few more miles.

So I'm glad I rode to work today - it reminded me of how much I enjoy doing that (other than changing clothes when I get there and before riding home.) I'll have to try to get my backside in gear a little earlier for the rest of the year and see if I can manage to ride in more often.

JMH