Sunday, February 07, 2010

GREEN MOUNTAIN TURTLE, Part 7 -
Back to the Empire State
Sunday, February 7, 2010

The first part of the drive was quite pretty, as I followed the shore of Lake Champlain with the sun setting behind the mountains across the lake in New York. Of course, eventually it was completely dark, and then it was just drive, drive, drive through the dark Vermont countryside. Most of the time I had no idea where I was, all I knew was that I was heading south following the directions on my TomTom. I don't know if it was the particular places I went today or what, but I was amazed at how few signs of so-called civilization there were... I think I was mostly passing through farm country. I wish I could have seen it in the daylight...

Once I was back in New York I followed some roads I've driven before and a few I haven't, and eventually found myself back on the Northway heading south the Albany. There's no question it was a long haul - about 3 hours of driving from Button Bay State Park to home - and it definitely felt good to get out of the car, even if that meant I had to lug all my stuff up to the house.

All in all, this was a good weekend, despite all the driving. I saw more of Vermont (and now find myself wanting to explore it even more) and visited some cool places (and some downright cold places.) Ran a fun race (with actual snow, no less) and met some great people. While I wish I'd had time to see even more, I think this qualifies as a successful weekend trip.

JMH