Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A PLEASANT SURPRISE
Wednesday, January 22, 2014

I figured I'd be lucky to qualify for snowshoe nationals this year, since it's practically in my backyard (about 90 minutes away, just east of Bennington VT) and there will likely be record turnout at qualifying races this season - after all, I had to drive to northern VT to qualify back in 2010 when nationals were near Syracuse. And I'm working under a definite handicap this season - my trail run times are resembling my slower snowshoe times, so I'm slower than ever!

Except... turnout at the Mendon Winterfest race was incredibly light, possibly the fewest I've ever seen. And there were only four runners in my age group... which means I'm in!

That certainly takes some of the stress out of the other qualifying races I'm hoping to run... if we ever get any snow...

JMH