Monday, April 25, 2005

Leatherman’s Loop 10K Trail Race
Sunday, April 24, 2005


2005 Leatherman’s Loop race results
2005 Leatherman’s Loop race info

2005 Leatherman's Loop photo slideshow

This was a race that was bound to be interesting, seeing as it's the one that sparked my renewed interest in running and especially in doing races. It's also a race that I had a blast at back in 1999, when I ran it the first time. And it was the first race I ran after my unexpectedly fast time at Dodge the Deer in early April. So there is no question that this was going to be a significant race!

The drive down to the Ward Pound Ridge Reservation in Westchester is a nice one, along the scenic Taconic State Parkway. It also brings back lots of memories, from all the times I drove down to Vassar and to New Haven. Of course, a few things have changed - in particular, there are no longer any restroom facilities on the TSP (not that there were many before!) and I was horrified to discover that the rest area on I84 is under construction. NOT a good situation for a runner trying to stay hydrated during a 90 minute drive before a race! But I managed to overcome that challenge, got to the park, waited in the very long line of cars at the entrance, and finally - made it!

Getting there early left me with enough time to check out the 2nd stream crossing (which is about 1/4 mile from the finish line) - wow that water was deep. I wasn't reassured by several runners exclaiming that it was the deepest they'd ever seen it. Eventually we all clustered at the starting line, and one difference in the race became very evident - this race has become VERY popular, with around 800 runners this year. The cloud cover broke just as we were getting ready to start, apparently someone gave a blessing (I can never hear anything at the back before a race... why people won't shut up and listen to the RD is beyond me), someone else (a formers Mets pitcher, I think) started us with throwing out a pitch, and - off we went!



I remember being a little frustrated with the crowding at this race the previous time - well, the increase in runners has definitely made that worse. Much of the 1/2 to 2/3 is on singletrack - so little or no possibility of passing, and lots of starting and stopping as people work out the paces they're going to run out.

The first stream crossing was COLD, and about calf-deep, though I managed to get wet up to mid-thigh as I tried to get out. No problem, running warmed me up pretty quickly (once my legs decided to work again.) The course is great - woods and swamp, with tons of mud.



I pushed along at the best clip I could manage, packed almost elbow-to-elbow for the first half. Finally things cleared out and the trails became wider. After a brisk morning things warmed up pretty well - I almost ended up wishing I'd dressed a little lighter. I also found that the fast (for me) pace was really tough to maintain for the last mile or two... just did not have the juice in my legs.



The final stream crossing was challenging, as expected - the water was VERY COLD, and because the stream has flooded its banks there were all sorts of underwater obstacles. At one point I whacked my knee on an underwater stump, which left me with a bloody knee. Trying to run the last 1/4 mile uphill after splashing through ice cold water was a challenge 6 years ago, and it was still a challenge... but in the end I made it, in 1:19, or averaging 12:45 miles. Not nearly as good as I would have liked, but not bad either, considering the course and the crowded trails early on.



So would I do this race again? On the one hand I love the course, and for some reason the Reservation really appeals to me... maybe if I ran it more I'd get bored with it, but the two times I've been there it's struck me as a cool place to be. The size of the race is the major negative - the trails are just too darn crowded during the first half. So I really don't know. Guess I'll have to see what's going on and how I feel next year.

The ride back was pretty... driving through the country on a sunny April day! I can think of worse ways to spend my time...

JMH

Next up: the Rochester Spring Classic Duathlon! Should be exciting... I've run races and ridden bike rides, but never both in the same event... and Mendon is one of the hillier areas near Rochester...


all photos in this post are courtesy of www.leathermansloop.org