Sunday, September 18, 2005

Eight Strenuous Weekends - Part 2
Jordan Alpine Classic 8.5 mi trail race
Saturday, Sept. 17, 2005

2005 Jordan Alpine Classic race results
Jordan Alpine Classic race info

2005 Jordan Alpine Classic photo slideshow

Well, I have to admit I didn't consider it a good omen when Friday night I found a chunk of metal lodged in one tire, effectively scuttling my plans to drive out to Rochester the night before the race and only have a 90 minute drive to Jordan Saturday morning. But I repacked based on the change in plans and 6 AM Saturday morning hit the road for the long drive to western NY and the Jordan Fall Festival. Got there without mishap, went through the usual pre-race rituals (change clothes, brace knees, wait in line at the Port-o-johns) and then waited in the light rain for things to start.







With a VERY loud blast from a black powder cannon, we headed off down a fairly level path next to the old Erie Canal. It became clear very quickly that I was going to be at the back of the pack, which just meant I didn't bother anybody when I stopped to take pictures. Before long we ended up heading into woods and fields, with lots of uphill stretches. Very scenic and very wet (we had a constant light drizzle pretty much the whole time.) After a stretch of about 1 1/2 miles on paved road, we headed into the hilliest section, the middle of which was a long hill that went almost straight up (ie. needed both hands and feet to climb)followed almost immediately by going down the equally steep opposite side. After another stretch on roads, we went into the woods and followed a winding, slippery downhill to Skaneateles Creek, which we waded across(it was between ankle and knee deep, depending on where you were in the creek) and then we had a rope climb up a steep bank, and more fields and roads off to the finish.





The volunteers were great... I've never seen so many water stops at a trail race (6, I think) and my impression was that many of them were families who set up a table with water in front of their houses. The only challenge to that was that the water was clustered... we had three stops in the space of about a mile, and then a similar situation later in the race... Everybody was very positive and really seemed to be having a goodtime - I get the impression this is considered a special event for everyone involved. There was even a group that walked the entire course before the race started to make sure there wouldn't be any surprises for the runners. As I came in at the end the race director emeritus (he organized the race for 10 years, then turned it over to new directors this year) announced my race number over the loudspeaker - I know that was mainly for the benefit of the people writing down the results, but it was still pretty cool to hear "We have a runner coming in - #11!" like I’m a real athlete or something.







Didn't run this one all out - I've concluded that mainly results in my getting injured. But I ran hard enough that I was pretty tired at the end, and my legs will definitely be feeling this for a few days(especially with all those hills.) Finished in 1:50, or just under 13 minute miles, and I had a great time... I'm putting this one on the calendar for next year. Hopefully some of my pictures will come out OK -I'm not in any of them, but they show what some of the course was like.

JMH

Next week - the Pfalz Point Trail Challenge, a 10 mile trail run in the beautiful Mohonk Preserve (right next door to Lake Minnewaska Park, where I did the Summer Solstice run and went mountain biking with Ann in July.) 10 miles is going to be work but I can't think of many places to run that are more beautiful than the Shawangunks...