Monday, August 28, 2006

The Year of Long Distance the Crashed Turtle
Monday, August 28, 2006


Well, thanks to my bike crash a week and a half ago (and the likelihood of one or more broken ribs that will take 6 weeks or so to heal) - my Year of Long Distance will have to wait until next year. And this is now officially the Year of the Crashed Turtle.

In a practical sense that means -
  • probably no races in September, though if I'm feeling phenomenal I may shoot for the Pfalz Point Trail Challenge at the Mohonk Preserve on Sept. 24.
  • Shorter races in October - on Oct 15 I'm hoping to run the Ridgewalk&Run 14Mi Trail Race out in Wellsville (south of Rochester), rather than the MDI Marathon in Maine. This should also allow me to do the Black Diamond Offroad Duathlon again this year, and maybe I'll run the Hairy Gorilla Half Marathon again (or perhaps the Honey Chickenwingman Duathlon out near Buffalo.)
  • Shorter races in November - I still want to run the Jack London 7 mile Trail Race in NH, but maybe I'll do the After the Leaves Have Fallen 20K down at Minnewaska the next day... since I won't be attempting the Mendon 50K the following week (though I might try the Menodn 20K option...) And I still hope to travel down to the Lil Rhody Runaround.

It has been very difficult giving up my fall marathon plans, but it's for the best. And if nothing else - this gives me time to plan for a very ambitious Year of Long Distance in 2007 (hint: 4 marathons and at least one 50K...!)

Next up: the Rochester Autumn Classic Duathlon!

JMH