Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The End of an Trail Running Era -
No More NewEnglandTrailRunner.com...
Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Back when I first started trail running (1997 or so) one of the coolest sites I found on the web was www.newenglandtrailrunner.com. Not only were there articles about trail running and race results - but there was an extensive calendar of trail running events in the northeastern US! I can remember spending many hours looking at the race listings and dreaming about doing many of them someday... when I got back into some serious trail running last year, that calendar was one of the first resources I consulted. Some of the races were no more, and in many cases I needed to track down updated info... but what a great resource.

Over the past year, much of the site was dismantled, with only the race calendar remaining, and the owner (who's name I unfortunately cannot remember) posted a note that he was considering retiring the site altogether. Now that seems to have happened. Guess I'll have to set to work compiling my own list of races and events to refer to every year.

There are now lots of sites out there with much of the same info, but NewEnglandTrailRunner will always be first in my mind. Thank you, NewEnglandTrailRunner, for 10 years of helping me find race info and giving me ideas of new races to do (I can think of at least half a dozen cool races I wouldn't know about if it weren't for that calendar!) You will be missed!

JM