Wednesday, December 13, 2006

WHY RACE?
Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Or, more accurately, what I usually hear is some version of "If you know you're going to come in last or close to last, why would you pay money, get up in the middle of the night, and drive all over creation to do a race?" Often the question is unspoken, but I can tell it's there when someone asks how I did in a particular race, I mention that I came in at the end or toward the end of the field, and they give me a look that says they question my sanity.

I suppose in an achievement-oriented society, it's a question that has to be asked. Of course, there are different kinds of achievements - while my 4 hr 20 min marathon finish in 1997 was a good two hours behind the top runners, most folks still felt that my running 26.2 miles was a significant achievement, particularly when I had just started running 4 months before. At one point I even made a practice of pointing out to people that I'm slow, so I have to aim for doing long distances and difficult courses where the achievement is found just in finishing. Of course, back then I did at most 2 or 3 races a year...

So why DO I pay good money, get up in the middle of the night, and drive all over creation to do a race?
  1. Racing forces me to get out and train. As someone who is inherently lazy, knowing I have a race coming up motivates me to put in the time and distance needed so that I'll be able to do well, whether that takes the form of a fast (for me) run or a long distance.
  2. Racing gives me an opportunity to push myself. When I'm running against the clock and against other runners, I'll typically run harder than when I'm out running by myself. Not to mention the additional adrenaline boost of bring in a race...
  3. Racing gives me a reason to go to cool places to run and ride. I would have a hard time justifying driving for 2 hours to run 6 miles in a really gorgeous park or on a really challenging course. But doing a race there makes it a special occasion. I've discovered some of the coolest places I know (like Minnewaska State Park) because of doing a race there.
  4. Racing gives me a feeling of accomplishment. I know it doesn't make total sense, but running a half marathon race is different from going out and running a 13 mile training run. Having people cheering for me as I cross a finish line (or even having my name announced, as has happened once or twice) is a unique feeling... almost like I'm a real athlete!
  5. Racing allows me to meet other people who are as crazy as I am (or even crazier!) In most of the races I've done, the vast majority of people have been very positive. I don't run and ride as a social activity... actually, much of my running and riding is designed to get me away from aggravating people! But it is also nice to occasionally have contact with folks who have a good time doing the same sorts of crazy things I do.
  6. Racing is fun. Sometimes it's "that was a great run!" fun, sometimes it's "that was brutal - what a great course!" fun, and sometimes it's "boy am I glad THAT'S over!" fun. Sometimes it's "cool, I'm going to beat this person to the finish" fun and sometimes it's "the only folks left are the ones manning the finish" fun. But overall doing races is something I enjoy.

I guess the bottom line is, for me running isn't the end product and it's not as much about achievement as it is about the journey. Doing races has become a part of that journey for me, and it will continue to be a part until they decide I'm too slow and ask me to stop!

JMH