Tuesday, May 22, 2007

22 Mile Ride on the Bike Path
Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Got home from work to find that the new freewheel for the Kent road bike I bought last August had finally arrived... the spokes arrived last week, and I had already replaced the broken ones and done my best to true the wheel. Since I'd been planning to ride tonight anyway, I installed the new freewheel, put the tire back on the rim, and after a short test ride up the street and back headed over to Colonie Town Park for a ride along the bike path.

It was a nice evening for a ride, though my late start meant it got a bit chilly toward the end. Lots of people were out on the bike path enjoying the good weather... walkers, runners, riders, skaters... still, I managed to make good time out to Knolls Atomic Power Labs in Niskayuna and back. I even rode up to the top of the landfill to test my new lowest gear (which works great, though it's a fairly big jump to the next gear) and then rode back down, albeit very slowly and carefully (that's the hill I crashed on last August!)

Overall, a good shakedown for my repaired bike... with luck the weather will be good enough this weekend for me to put in some more time on it.

JMH