Monday, May 07, 2007

A SHORT RIDE ON A PLEASANT MAY EVENING
12.3 Miles in the Corning Preserve and Schuyler Flatts Park
Monday, May 7, 2007

How could I pass up an evening with sunshine and temperatures in the 70's? After a lot of internal debate I finally decided to head down to the Corning Preserve for a short ride, mainly because it's nearby and relatively flat, so I could potentially get the blood flowing in my legs without working them too hard.

Apparently lots of other folks had the same thought about the nice evening, because the path was very crowded at each end (you can always tell when you get about a mile or so in, because the crowds drop off dramatically.) Unfortunately, the bugs were also out enjoying the evening... I rode through many clouds of little black annoyances. They didn't bite - it was just distracting to be getting peppered with tiny insects at 12-15 mph.

As I was riding out toward Watervliet, the traffic noise was almost nonexistant, because 787 was a parking lot. Definitely made me glad I was out riding instead of sitting in my car on the highway wondering when I'd finally get to my destination!

I originally thought I'd do two out-and-backs, for a total of 22 miles or so, but two things changed my mind - as the sun started to drop behind the Albany skyline, it was getting a bit chilly, and on the way back I was fighting a non-stop headwind. So instead I did a short jaunt down to the pumping station and then finished the ride at just under an hour. It would have been nice to ride a bit longer, but I can't say my tired legs minded the early finish!

JMH