Wednesday, June 20, 2007

LONG DISTANCE 2007, Race #10
Summer Solstice 14k Trail Run
Wednesday, June 20, 2007


2007 Summer Solstice run results (Excel file)

2007 Summer Solstice run photo slideshow

A while back I wrote about the various reasons I run races... after all, as a back-of-the-pack runner, there are definitely times when people look at me and wonder "Why is he paying money to do this when he's so darn slow?!!!!" I don't generally ask that question, because most of the time when I'm doing a race, I'm having fun... albeit sick, torturous fun.

Two of my reasons for doing races were to go to cool and interesting places to run, and to put myself in an environment where I'm likely to push myself harder than I generally will during a training run. Tonight's run at Minnewaska qualifies on both counts...



I first ran the Summer Solstice 14k back in 1999, and immediately fell in love with Minnewaska State Park Preserve. Tall cliffs, blooming mountain laurel, glacial lakes, pine forests - what's not to love? Since then I've run four more races there (five, including tonight's) and I spent the better part of a day there in 2005 riding the trails with Ann. Admittedly, running this race isn't the smartest move three days after Greylock... especially since the first 4 miles are mostly uphill, and the last 4 3/4 miles are a mix of steady downhill and gradual uphill. But with such a beautiful venue, how could I resist?



Another nice point to this race is the number of runners it attracts who don't usually run this type of distance... that means that there are often folks who are flagging during the last few miles who I can pass if I keep pushing my pace! And as a back-of-the-packer, let me say that opportunities like that are few and far between! The trails are also wide enough and smooth enough that I can run fairly fast (for me!) if I push myself.



So with all that in its favor, it should be no surprise that late this afternoon I hopped in the car and made the 90 minute drive south to Minnewaska. It looked to be a great day for a run - sunny and cool with a bit of wind - though I wasn't sure what my legs would be capable of after Sunday's trek up and down the slopes of Greylock. I love the drive through the woods and up into the 'Gunks on the way to the park... I always end up wishing I could spend more time there (maybe sometime this summer...?)

After I checked in, I spent half an hour wandering around taking pictures and just enjoying the surroundings. Then I geared up and wandered over toward the start to wait. As I was doing so, I heard some disturbing comments that they might have to delay the start for half an hour because of a major traffic back-up coming into the park (apparently the kid taking the $7 entrance fee was even slower at that than I am at running!) Given that it was a bit chilly, I hoped this was just a rumor, but as 6:30 approached and no announcement was made to gather at the start, it didn't look good. A few minutes later the RD went around with a megaphone letting everyone know that the race would start at 6:45... not bad at all.

So a bit before 6:45 we all crowded into the starting area, the RD made a few announcements about the course, and then - it was time to run!



The first 4 miles, up to Castle Point, was tough. My legs were definitely tired from Sunday's race, and I was sucking wind the whole way. Stopped to walk several times, and was passed by a number of runners on the way up. But the laurel was in full bloom (last year, it had bloomed early) and the views from the cliffs are spectacular! There are also lots of cool rock formations. I reached the water stop at Castle Point in about 43 minutes - not bad at all, and on target for a fast time for me if I could pick up the pace for the rest of the run.





The stretch from Castle Point to the Upper Awosting Carriageway twists and turns its way downhill, again with some great views from the cliffs. There's even one spot where the path runs along the top of a cliff, then loops around so that later it passes the base of the cliff... very cool. This section is on the west side of the mountains, so it was also nice and sunny. I managed to pick up speed and set a pretty good pace down the hill, though with all the turns I had to be careful not to blow a knee. Made pretty good time to the last water stop, 1 hour with about 3 miles to go.




The last three miles, along the Upper Awosting Carriageway, weren't as sunny, but the sides of the trail were covered in mountain laurel. The terrain varies from being fairly level to some fairly gentle uphill, with a few downhill stretches thrown in. I pushed as hard as I could, hoping to break 90 minutes, and managed to pass three or four runners in the process. The last 3/4 of a mile is tough - first a gradual uphill, and then a steep uphill for the final tenth of a mile, and it was during this stretch that it became very clear my legs were running out of juice. But I managed to run the whole section, and even ran up the entire steep hill to the finish, crossing the line in 91 min 47 seconds... about 20 seconds slower than last year. So no PR, but a good challenging run all the same, averaging just over 10 1/2 minute miles.





Afterwards I staggered over to the tent, filed my finisher's info, and snagged a bottle of cranberry-apple drink, which turned out to be one of the most delicious things I've ever had to drink after a run. Chatted briefly with Josh Merlis of the Albany Running Exchange (they'd brought a decent-sized group of runners to the race), changed into some dry (and warmer!) clothes, and then bid the 'Gunks a sad farewell. But I'll be back!

Next up: it hardly qualifies as long distance, but the Schoolcraft 5k Trail Race in Tawasentha Park over in Guilderland, bright and early Saturday morning. I've been wanting to run the trails over there ever since hearing some of the stories of the ARE trail runs there, so it seems like a good opportunity. Then Sunday morning is the 1st Harborfest 10k race out in Rochester, which is supposed to take us out-and-back along a very scenic path overlooking the Genesee River. After that - I take a break from racing until at least mid-July.

JMH

2007 EVENT TOTALS
Running 121.1 mi, 29 hr 38 min
Cycling 26.2 mi, 1 hr 55 min
Snowshoe 31.3 mi, 9 hr 11 min

states visited: CT, MA, ME, NH, NY, VT