Saturday, June 23, 2007

LONG DISTANCE 2007, Race #11
Schoolcraft 5k Trail Run
Saturday, June 23, 2007

2007 Schoolcraft 5k results

I've wanted to run at Tawasentha Park in Guilderland for almost two years now, since reading about it in various Albany Running Exchange articles, but somehow have never managed to make the opportunity. So when I saw the ads for today's 5k race there, I decided to give it a go, despite having a very busy week of races already scheduled. The proceeds of today's run go toward funding the Schoolcraft Cultural Center, so I would be helping a good cause as well.

Driving into the park, one feature of today's run became very apparent: hills. Lots of hills. I found a place to park and picked up my race number and T-shirt, and realized I wouldn't be taking pictures today because I'd left my disposable camera at home. Then it was just a matter of waiting for things to start...

The starting line was in a field - one of the few times during the 5K when we'd be running on level ground. After giving us instructions to follow the white arrows and orange flags, the RD sounded a siren and off we went!

5k really isn't a good distance for me... I spent the whole time huffing and puffing and never really had time to get into a good running rhythm, especially with all the hills. About half the course was run on grass, one of my least favorite surfaces (even when it's cut short, you can't really tell what's under the grass.) My favorite section was a dirt trail through the woods, which we ran along twice... didn't hurt that part was also mostly downhill! (For a rough idea of the course, take a look at Guilderland XC's 2.7 mile course; they also have pictures of much of where we ran today.)

I finished the run in 34 min 50 seconds... a bit slower than I'd originally hoped for this distance, averaging just under 11 min 15 sec per mile, but given the hills and the condition of my legs after Greylock and Minnewaska earlier this week, I can't say I'm disappointed. This was definitely worth doing, if only to get a glimpse of another local park available for running.

Next up: one more race this month, the Harborfest 10k in Rochester, tomorrow! And then I give my legs a chance to recover from the beating they've taken this week, before getting back to some long training runs again!

JMH

2007 EVENT TOTALS
Running 124.2 mi, 30 hr 13 min
Cycling 26.2 mi, 1 hr 55 min
Snowshoe 31.3 mi, 9 hr 11 min

states visited: CT, MA, ME, NH, NY, VT