Sunday, August 05, 2007

23.5 Mile Ride Along the Mohawk River & the Old Erie Canal
Sunday, August 5, 2007

Well, I'll say this for going to bed totally exhausted and sleep-deprived: it's nice to sleep like a stone every once in a while!

Legs were feeling a bit tender today, so I headed over to the bike path on the west side of Schenectady for an easy ride. Rode all the way to the end of the path, but found train cars blocking the track crossing at Scrafford Lane. So I headed back down the path and down onto 5S into Rotterdam Junction. Rode all the way down to Pattersonville (all the way... heh, it's only about 1 1/2 miles from Rotterdam Junction!) then came back, ducking off the road (yay!) to ride the short section of path along the Old Erie Canal west of Rotterdam Junction.

I don't ride that section of path all that often, so I was pleased to see that it's full of water again (for a while it had been drained.) Spotted what I think were several kingfishers, though it was hard to be sure.

Then it was back down 5S and the bike path, to wrap up a fairly relaxed ride on a very nice summer day. Snapped a few pictures while I was out there... with luck, this will be the last roll of film I use for a while (I'm hoping to be going digital by the end of the week...)

JMH