Friday, October 12, 2007

Decisions, Decisions...
Friday, October 12, 2007

The Mendon Trail Runs (5k, 10k, 20k, and 50k) will be held on Saturday, November 10. I had originally hoped to run the 50k and complete my first ultra this year... but my experience at the Adirondack Marathon, combined with a total lack of long (20-25 mile) runs since then, leads to me believe that my chances of actually finishing the 50k are pretty darn low. On the other hand, barring injury or illness I know I can finish the 20k no problem.

So do I run the 20k as hard as I can, and strive for a good run at a "safe" distance... or do I enter the 50k and run as far as I can before I crash and have to drop out? That's the decision I have to make in the next couple of weeks, before I pre-reg. (Admittedly, as decisions go, it's not a bad one... no life-altering or world-shattering consequences!)

I have to admit, I'm curious what the very few folks who read my ramblings think... so I've tried something new. Off in the right-hand column, just above my events calendar, is a poll. (Sorry about the hard-to-read black text, but I haven't figured out how to change that...) Feel free to weigh in with your opinion that I should run the 20k... or enter the 50k and see how far I can go... or go for a long bike ride that day... or practice katas... or just stay home and take it easy! I certainly don't promise to follow the most popular option... but I'm definitely curious to see how it turns out!

JMH