Friday, November 02, 2007

Iaido Class
Friday, November 2, 2007

My first class since June... I was worried about being rusty, and I definitely was, but the katas didn't go too badly (we only worked on two, and one of those I know moderately well.) The muto dori techniques were another story... between only having done them a couple of times before, plus not wanted to get thumped down on the floor much (for fear of further aggravating my sore hip) those were not pretty at all. Fortunately, we only did them for a few minutes.

Apparently GMC has been in contact with the late Master Matsuno's widow, and was given the unfortunate information that the videos he has are pretty much it for what's available knowledge-wise to pass along... a shame, really, because I know Master Matsuno mentioned also practicing some jujutsu and staff. Apparently much of the communication is being done through Master Matsuno's daughter, who has shared the fact that she regrets not learning more about her father's style when he was alive. Another reminder not to take things for granted... I know I often behave as though the people around me will be there forever, and as I get older I should try to be more and more aware that our time together is limited and I shouldn't waste a single opportunity, whether it be to enjoy a moment, learn something more, or let them know that they're important to me.

JMH