Monday, April 21, 2008

FIRE AT MINNEWASKA STATE PARK
Monday, April 21, 2008

I fell in love with Minnewaska State Park Preserve when I first visited there for the 1999 Summer Solstice Run. Since then I've run 5 more races there and visited a couple of times to ride my bike and just generally enjoy the peace and beauty of one of the most gorgeous places I've ever been. So it broke my heart to read the today's e-mail from the nearby Mohonk Preserve:

As of Monday, April 21 at noon, a forest fire at Minnewaska State Park Preserve had burned about 4,000 acres. Thanks to round-the-clock efforts of state, local, and volunteer firefighters and emergency personnel, the fire is largely contained. However, firefighting efforts are ongoing and it is not known at this time when Minnewaska will re-open.
Apparently, the fire started on Thursday as a small brush fire which was thought to be under control by Friday... but it reignited and spread despite all the efforts to contain it. Over 250 personel from 27 state and local agencies have been involved with trying to stop the fire, including members from more than 30 volunteer fire departments, DEC forest rangers and personnel from state police, Department of Transportation and Parks and Recreation. At this time the fire is about 80% contained and is the largest wildfire in NYS since 1995. For more info, I recommend any number of articles from the Times Herald-Record, a local paper that has had excellent coverage of the fire.

Funny thing is, I had briefly considered going to Minnewaska yesterday for my long run and decided it was too far to travel. I'm glad I made that decision!

No doubt the park will only be closed for a short time, until the fire is completely out and it's safe for people to return. But the thought of so much wonderful forest burning makes me very, very sad.

(all photos courtesy of www.recordonline.com)






the fire zone - the red line indicates the area of the fire, and the black lines indicate the firebreaks cut in an effort to contain it



JMH