Friday, September 26, 2008

A COOL RAINY EVENING
7.4 Mile Run in the Pine Bush
Friday, September 26, 2008

I had planned to run either Wednesday or Thursday night, but found myself with a serious lack of both energy and motivation. So rain or no rain, tonight was a definite night to run. Headed over to the Great Dune trailhead of the Pine Bush, figuring I'd do some variation of the perimeter loop, since the yellow and blue trails are still closed for "habitat restoration."

It felt really good to be out in the woods again, and the rain stayed a very fine drizzle, so it was actually a pretty cool evening... fog drifting among the trees and so on. Turns out they've cleared the cut trees off the yellow trail, so that was runnable... but it bums me out to be running along the edge of a torn-up open hillside when it used to be a wonderful shaded woods path. Curiosity got the better of me, so I ended up heading down into what used to be the old field and ran some trails I haven't been on in a long time... that was fun!

Along the way I saw flocks of finches, two bucks with antlers coming in nicely, and a small herd of deer. And best of all I managed to get back to the car before it got too dark to see the path, since I didn't have batteries with me for my headlamp.

JMH