Friday, September 19, 2008

A TURTLE IN MAINE
WHY???????
Friday, September 19, 2008

That strikes me as a really good question to be asking about my upcoming trip, seeing as it will entail 16+ hours of driving in just over 2 days and a decent amount of money spent on gas, a motel room, food, and so on. So why exactly am I making this crazy trip to Bar Harbor this weekend?

Can't really discount the "it's an adventure" factor, though the last time I did a crazy race weekend based on that (the snowshoe triple weekend back in February) I decided I would never do that particular combo of races again, and I would probably never drive 4+ hours and spend the night at a motel for anything less than a 15k (and that would have to be a darn cool 15k to boot!)

I've been contemplating running the Mount Desert Island Marathon for a while now... in some ways this trip is research for that, checking out the area and the terrain, as well as learning just how bad the drive out there really is. I don't think much of driving 4 hours after all the times I've gone to Rochester over the last eight years... but 8 hours is a whole other story!

I've also wanted to visit Acadia National Park ever since I ran into info about it while researching the trip Ann and I made to Nova Scotia back in 2004... this is a chance to see some of Acadia during and after the race and figure out if I should try to convince Ann that we really should go there sometime.

So I guess that's what it comes down to... research! (OK, it's also a potentially fun adventure... and don't discount the fact that I am CRAZY.)

JMH