Friday, October 10, 2008

THERE'S JUST SOMETHING ABOUT AUTUMN...
10 Mile Ride on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Friday, October 10, 2008

Squeezed in a really short ride before I had to head over to the karate school to cover class... I had considered skipping it and being a little less rushed, but I'm glad I got out in the crisp fall air instead.

I love being outdoors during all seasons but autumn always has a special place in my heart. Some of that may just be that the weather (when it's good) is ideal - not too hot, not too cold. The changing colors are also a big draw... I love being surrounded by green, but there's just something about the reds, oranges, yellows, and golds of autumn that takes my breath away (and has me snapping photos like crazy.) Even though I'm back at work and the hours of daylight are slipping away far too quickly, there's just something about feel and scent of the crisp autumn air and the sound of leaves crunching beneath my feet or my wheels that gets my blood flowing, and I find myself wanting to spend every minute I can outdoors.

Autumn has always had something of that effect on me... I can remember as a youngster getting excited about Halloween (a natural, given my interest in monsters and fantasy), Thanksgiving, and this time of the year. Perhaps it's no coincidence that I first started trail running in autumn... I do know that getting out on the trails and crunching through the falling leaves always takes me back to those first trail runs in the Berkshires, more than a few years ago...

Sometimes it's just good to be alive... and autumn seems to be one of those times where it's easiest for me to feel that.

JMH