Tuesday, February 24, 2009

ON THE TRAILS AGAIN!
5.2 Mile Run in the Albany Pine Bush
Tuesday, February 24, 2009

After over a week of no running it felt great to be out on the trails again, even if I spent part of the time trying to cough up a lung. With no substantial fresh snow for the last couple of weeks I knew the trails would be runnable, though a bit rough in spots, so I wore my screw shoes and planned to take it easy (I am getting over being sick, after all.)

Mostly ice and hard frozen snow, with a few actual patches of dirt. Could have used my snowshoes but the pounding would have been rough... definitely better this way. I was a little worried at first that I was underdressed, because with the wind it was very cold and I've been more sensitive to that since I came down with this bug... but within a half mile or so I was feeling nice and warm.

Best of all, as I came down the hill to the power lines on my way back, I heard owls calling. I've seen them twice in the Pine Bush... once one afternoon when I was over there skiing, and one evening last year when I was running... one of the cool things about running there at night is it's not that unusual to hear them, even when you can't see them.

JMH