Saturday, February 28, 2009

TRAVELLIN' TURTLE, Part 3 -
Brunch at the South Face Farm Sugarhouse Restaurant
Saturday, February 28, 2009

South Face Farm info

I've always heard that one of the big pluses to the Hawley Kiln race is going to brunch at the South Face Farm Sugarhouse Restaurant after the race. South Face Farm is a family owned and run farm that is known both for making maple syrup and for their small restaurant which is open for six weeks each spring (the maple sugaring season.)

The restaurant was packed with folks from the race - quite a difference from the typical race, where only a small number of people stick around afterwards. I ended up ordering a sampler (pancake, waffle, french toast, and corn fritter) along with some eggs, along with (of course) fresh maple syrup to top it off, and I found out very quickly why this is considered one of the best races of the season - the food is incredible! Easily the best brunch I've ever had, and well worth the trip to get there. I can't recommend it enough!

Unfortunately, I had a long drive ahead of me (and I wanted to get to Portland in time to pick up my race packet) so once I'd finished the oh-so-delicious food, it was time to hit the road again. Or maybe it was fortunate, since if I'd had more time I probably would have ordered a second meal!

JMH