Monday, March 23, 2009

6.3 Mile Run Along the Erie Canalway Trail & in Greece Canal Park
Monday, March 23, 2009

My legs were definitely feeling the effects of Saturday's race during my run today... the climb to the top of Catamount definitely took a toll on my quads and calves, which are still sore, and the pounding non-stop descent just generally beat the heck out of my legs. I was originally planning to do a long run tomorrow, but now I'm thinking I'll do another short one and save the longer distance for Wednesday.

After running from Henpeck Park in Greece east to Long Pond Road and then back, I headed west along the towpath trail to Greece Canal Park. The path along the canal wasn't terribly interesting, and the canal is still drained for the winter, so not much to see there. But last March Ann and I saw a dozen or so woodpeckers in the woods in the park, so I headed there to see if they'd give a repeat performance. No such luck... mainly I saw lots and lots of robins.

At the end of the road I reached a trailhead and decided to go back to the canal via the woods. Other than some flooded sections, that was a lot of fun. I don't know if it was the softer surface, the more varied terrain, or just the mental break of being under the trees, but running along the trail definitely felt a lot better than running along the canal path and the road.

JMH