Thursday, March 05, 2009

COYOTES HOWL
3.3 Mile Run in the Albany Pine Bush
Thursday, March 5, 2009

I almost didn't go for a run tonight, but in the end I convinced myself to get in a few miles on my way to classes at the karate school. I planned to hit the trails near the Pine Bush Discovery Center, but in the end headed over to the Blueberry Hill sections instead. Caught some glimpses of a really pretty sunset... I really wish I'd brought my camera along!

I haven't been there since doing a night snowshoe run back in December... it was helpful to see all the "habitat restoration" work they've done there in the daylight. Enormous sections have been stripped down to bare soil... as always, I understand the reasoning (to restore a unique environment) but I sure do miss the trees.

As I was heading back to the trailhead I heard coyotes howling off in the woods somewhere... first one and then several. I hoped I'd catch a glimpse of them, but no such luck.

In the end I hiked to the top of two of the tallest hills around (the only real advantage of so many trees and bushes being removed - no need to bushwhack!) The view was a small consolation for the loss of so many trees... but it was definitely worth the hike to the top of each hill.

JMH