Thursday, April 23, 2009

ANOTHER EAGLE
12.2 Mile Ride at the Corning Preserve & Schuyler Flatts Cultural Park
Thursday, April 23, 2009

Spotted another bald eagle today during my ride along the Hudson River in the Corning Preserve... unfortunately, he had caught a tailwind and went soaring upriver very quickly, so I was only able to snap two quick photos of him.

Chilly day for a ride, mainly due to the very brisk wind (perhaps a precursor of this weekend's warm spell moving into the area.) Even so it was good to be out on my bike for a bit before I had to head back to work for one of the many end-of-the-year functions that occur in late April and throughout May. It was particularly gratifying to see buds on many of the trees - spring is definitely on its way!

When I arrived at the parking area under 787 I initially thought I might have to go elsewhere... the first section was blocked off and filled with various trucks, a couple of tents were set up nearby, and fairly obvious security folks were wandering around, with several news vans in evidence. But I managed to make my way around the obstruction and found a parking spot... didn't manage to find out what was up until today, when I checked the local news and learned that Albany is host to a film crew for the next week or so, filming scenes for a new Angelina Jolie movie called "Salt." Guess I won't be heading back to the Corning Preserve until that's over... should make things interesting for the annual St. John's/St. Ann's Spring Run-Off 5k/10k races down there on Saturday morning.

JMH