Friday, May 01, 2009

R.I.P Canon Powershot A570IS
Friday, May 1, 2009

I had originally thought I'd take my older camera, a Canon Powershot 570IS, with me on tonight's run, since there was a slight chance we might see some showers later on... but when I checked it before putting it in my gear bag, it was dead. Tried new batteries, but it remained dead. No great surprise, really... I bought my new camera because this one was acting up, and last weekend it got very hot when I transferred the pictures from Muddy Moose to the computer... I suspect something finally gave up the ghost inside it and burned out/melted down.

It served admirably for the 20 months I had it... while that seems like a very short time for a camera, I took somewhere between 40 & 50 thousand pictures with it and put it through conditions that probably should have killed it long before now. I'll definitely miss it - it was nice having a beat up camera I could take on messy runs and not worry about it - and I may look for a realtively inexpensive camera to replace it, so I can save the new one for actvities where I can be more careful with it.

JMH