Tuesday, June 23, 2009

14.5 Mile Ride on the Zim Smith Trail
Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Zim Smith Trail map

I first head about the Zim Smith Trail up in Malta when one of the Albany Running Exchange members posted a run there (or maybe it was a ride, I can't remember.) So it was a logical choice when I was looking for someplace different to head out on my bike today.

The one guidebook I have that references the trail (ECOS's Natural Areas of Saratoga County) describes it as a cinder railbed (actually it runs along the old Delaware & Hudson railbed) so I suspect the current trail is relatively recent. I parked at Shenataha Park in Malta and headed east. Initially the trail was paved, passing mostly through woodlands, but when it passed through Round Lake the surface changed to packed stone dust... somewhat tougher riding. It also headed mostly along a slight downhill grade, which meant I was looking at a somewhat more tougher ride back. The last segment of the trail was probably my favorite, as it went through a wetlands... a bit more scenic, and I saw a few more birds and even several turtles.

The ride back was a bit tiring, given that my legs hadn't recovered from Sunday's double trek up and around Mt Greylock... I was very pleased to pass through Round Lake and be back on pavement. I made one short side trip just before getting back to the park - a spur trail headed sharply downhill to a Whipple bridge across the Ballston Creek, then up the other side to allow access to the trail from a nearby neighborhood. I ended up walking my bike up both hills... it just wasn't worth the strain on my legs to climb two short hills.

Back at the park, I considered stopping but decided to get in a few more miles instead, so I headed west... and fairly quickly came to a very busy road that just didn't seem worth waiting to cross. So much for that few more miles... I did an about-face and headed back to the car. There will be other days to explore the rest of this path. (And actually, looking at the map... there's only another mile or so that I didn't ride, so I don't feel any huge complusion to head back ASAP and check the rest out.)

JMH