Monday, June 15, 2009

Osprey, Eagles, and Snow Geese
Monday, June 15, 2009

Didn't have time for a bike ride on my way back to Albany today, but I did make my usual side trip to Lock CS-1 to check on the eaglets.

Heading down Rts 5/20 I noticed osprey up in the nests on the power lines, so I pulled over to the side of the road and took a bunch of pictures. Turns out they were feeding chicks - while I was there the mate flew in, and every once in a while a little head with a hungry beak would pop up over the edge of the nest.

Down at the lock, I was pleased to see that I had again gotten lucky and one of the adult bald eagles was nearby. The eaglets have gotten big - one spent the whole time I was there hopping from the nest to the platform and back. I suspect they'll be flying soon.

A pair of herons flew by while I was watching the eagles, but this nothing like my visit two weeks ago when there were herons all over the place. I also had two red-winged blackbirds hollering at me... I suspect I was near their nest without realizing it.

When I walked back to my car I was surprised to see a flock of white geese wandering across the parking area to munch on the grass... snow geese! Spent a while watching and photographing them... they were a pleasant surprise.

Unfortunately I was on a tight schedule, with a tutoring appointment waiting for me late in the afternoon, so in the end I packed up, waved good-bye to the eagles (possibly the last time I can be sure they'll actually be at the nest) and got on the road to finish the ride home.

JMH