Sunday, September 06, 2009

2009 LABOR DAY WEEKEND CAMPING TRIP, Part 4 -
Home Again, Home Again...
Sunday, September 6, 2009

Made a few short stops to snap some pictures of the scenery on my way out to the main road and a brief stop in Newcomb on the way home today to get some more photos at the "Heart of the Adirondacks" monument (many of the trees appear to have grown a bit since it was installed, so it's now pretty difficult to match most of the distant mountains with the key on the monument.) But otherwise I had a pretty uneventful trip home. I did spot a fox with a very light tan colored coat off to the side of route 28N as I was heading toward Minerva, but I resisted the temptation to stop and try to get a picture... he probably would have just bolted further into the woods in any case.

As always, as much as I enjoyed spending time with Ann and her friends out in the beautiful Adirondacks, I am going to absolutely revel in the chance to take a hot shower after a little over two days of brief washups in the lake... and I suspect sleeping in a bed tonight will feel pretty darn good too.

I came back early in part to head over to western MA for the Greylock Road Race tomorrow morning... right now I'm thinking I'm unlikely to go, because my left knee has been giving me occasional jabs of pain along the outside, probably due to some strain from my bracing the leg in some unusual positions over the last two days while first paddling in an unfamiliar and uncomfortable kayak and then in the front of a canoe. I'll see how it feels in the morning, but a day of something easy on my knees (like some bicycling) might make a lot more sense than running 8 miles up the road to the top of Greylock and then 4-5 miles along the Appalachian Trail to get back down to my car parked at the starting area. Better to skip a race now than a bunch of races over the next few weeks...

JMH