Saturday, October 17, 2009

No Ridgewalk for Me... But Maybe a Mudslog...
Saturday, October 17, 2009

Between the potential for bad (really bad) weather, my general lack of conditioning, and just being more than a bit tired due in part to a challenging teaching schedule this year, I've decided not to make the trek down to Wellsville for the Ridgewalk 15 mile trail race tomorrow. That bums me out a bit, because it's a gorgeous course... but it's also one of the hardest courses I've ever done, and tackling it in much-less-than-optimum shape in conditions that will make hypothermia a very real risk just doesn't make sense. Of course, now that I've made this decision it will be a bright sunny day tomorrow!

Depending on how I'm feeling in the morning I may head over to Fairport for the Jensen Stables 12k Ultimate XC Challenge... a race that used to be called the Jensen Stables Mud-Slog and includes a variety of obstacles on the course, including water hazards and piles of hay bales to climb over. I've been interested in trying it ever since it started a few years back, but it's usually on the same day as the Black Diamond Du, and I do few enough duathlons that I don't like to skip one. While I'll be a bit bummed about bailing on Ridgewalk, I definitely won't mind leaving here at 8:30 or so instead of 5:30 AM!

JMH