Thursday, December 31, 2009

3 Mile Snowshoe at Mendon Ponds Park
Thursday, December 31, 2009







Well, that didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. I knew the snow cover would be light and so snowshoeing would be pretty easy - what I'd hoped was that there'd be enough snow that Ann would be faster than me on her skis. Unfortunately, there were enough spots with roots and leaves poking through that it was pretty slow going for her and a lot of work, and in the end I typically ran ahead a ways, waited for her to catch up, and then ran on a little further. Not much fun for her, unfortunately, and after a little over 2 miles she took me up on my comment about ditching the skis and walking most of the rest of the way, though she did ski the last quarter mile or so back to the trail head.







We went out on the loop around Quaker Pond, which clearly has seen a lot of traffic.... while we were there half a dozen folks passed us on skis. Lots of birds around, and a few deer off in the woods. I got back to the trailhead before Ann so I ran back up the hill we'd climbed on our way out and then down through the field on what looked like a deer track... that was fun.







I was a bit disappointed when we drove into the park that none of the usual Mendon deer were in sight, but the drive out more than made up for that...





JMH