Saturday, February 13, 2010

4 Mile Run Along the Bog Meadow Brook Nature Trail
Saturday, February 13, 2010

I checked my trail guides for places to go after the race today and briefly considered heading over to the Saratoga Spa State Park, possibly to run some variation of the Winterfest course I missed last week. In the end I decided that relatively flat terrain was called for instead, and the best option seemed to be a spot I XC skiied at last year after the Saratoga Winterfest race, the Bog Meadow Brook Nature Trail. The path follows the bed of the Saratoga & Schuylerville Railroad that ran between Saratoga Springs and Schulerville (probably no great surprise, given the name!) The rail line was built in the late 1880's and was part of a plan to create a line from Boston to Buffalo. In 1956 the line was closed down and almost 40 years later in 1993 this 2 mile section was converted into a nature trail, as one of the earliest accomplishments of the Open Space Project (now Saratoga PLAN.) The trail runs through a variety of wetlands and when I was there last year I hoped I would get back there again (though at the time I was thinking more of seeing it in another season rather than going there again after a snowshoe race!)

It was very slow going to the far end of the trail and back... my legs were pretty tired from my run last night and especially from the race this morning, and I had no wish to overdo it and end up limping arounf for the next few weeks. Besides, I had the excuse of stopping to take pictures. Much of the trail was covered by a packed layer of snow - I probably could have used my snowshoes if I wanted, but I went with screw shoes instead. Passed a few other folks out walking, but it was a grey chilly day... not much incentive for most folks to be outdoors.

Since the snow cover was lighter than last year I could see many of the railroad ties that still cross the path - I would imagine those could make the going a bit rougher in spring, summer, and fall. I spotted two woodpeckers and heard chickadees and another woodpecker; there were also plenty of signs of beavers, both at Bog Meadow Brook (where there were two beaver dams) and along the boardwalk over a beaver pond at the far end of the path, where there were both chewed stumps and a very obvious lodge.

The run out wasn't too bad, but the trip back got tougher and tougher the further I went... good thing it was only 2 miles. It's a bit depressing to think that right now 9 miles is a tough day for me, but with steady work and no injuries that should improve...

JMH