Sunday, May 02, 2010

Trail Runners... Littering?!!!!! GRRRR!
Sunday, May 2, 2010

Time for me to climb up on my soapbox...

Over the years I've seen a number of trail race applications which state that littering is grounds for disqualification, which I've always supported... few things aggravate me more than running a race and having to stop to pick up a gel packet or other trash dropped by someone ahead of me. Thankfully, I rarely need to do so, since most trail runners are very conscientious about picking up after themselves. Unfortunately, as more and more folks take up trail running, it may be inevitable that this will become more of a problem...

Case in point - just before the Medved Madness 15 mile race yesterday, I watched a runner drink the last of the water in his Powerade bottle and then just toss the bottle on the ground off to the side. I suppose I should have said something (maybe something a bit more diplomatic than "You jerk, how about you pick that up and throw it in the trash instead?") or picked it up and thrown it out myself; that's where I blew it.

Later in the race, about halfway through the 2nd loop, there was an unmanned aid station where the RDs had requested that folks take a moment to throw any cups in the trash container rather than on the ground. I'm pleased to say that I only saw two or three cups on the ground... but what was up with those runners? If you're pausing to fill a cup it really doesn't take that much longer to drink it and then throw it in the trash instead of on the ground... and not only is it much more responsible, but it seems like an easy to to say "thank you" to the race organizers instead of making them pick up a bunch of used cups.

I glanced over the results of the Merrimack 10 mile trail race (which I bailed on to go running with Konrad, Ed, and Bob over in Hawley instead) and noticed that the last runner listed was DQ'd due to littering. I don't know the story behind this but I applaud the race organizers for taking a stand in this way. We shouldn't need to have a threat hanging over our heads to get us to behave responsibly, but if it helps remind some of the folks who are more interested in their finishing times to take care of the beautiful surroundings we're fortunate enough to be running through, then I'm all for it.

Climbing back down from my soapbox now...

JMH