Friday, July 23, 2010

6.3 Mile Run on the Genesee Valley Greenway Trail
Friday, July 23, 2010

What a change a little over 12 hours makes... last night it was cool and dry, perfect running weather. After a rainy morning today was warm and very, very humid... the sort of mugginess that feels like being wrapped in a warm damp blanket the moment you step outside. So my 8-9 mile run was quickly downgraded to a little over 6 miles. Not much fun, really, but I have to get back to putting in some miles after the past two weeks of almost no running and riding. The Greenway trail seemed like a good choice since it's fairly flat easy running.

I was greeted by a beautiful butterfly in the parking lot of the Brookdale Preserve - it was there when I finished, too. Lots of birds out and about; maybe they don't mind the humidity as much. At one point I seemed to be running into a cardinal convention, with bright red feathered bodies shooting back and forth across the trail... that was pretty cool. And twice I startled a juvenile hawk, which flew off screeching... couldn't tell if it was the same type that Ann and I saw yesterday at Green Lakes or if it was a typical red-tailed hawk.

Ended up drenched and much more tired than I should have been from a meager 6+ miles... and really wishing I could have run through some of this morning's rain!

JMH