Tuesday, October 26, 2010

20.3 Mile Ride on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Another gorgeous day today... one of those days where it's really tough to be indoors, especially knowing that the warm weather will disappear soon and then it's going to seem even colder than usual. Sunshine during lots of the day gave way to clouds by the time I got my bike over to the bike path, and the loss of the sun meant it got slightly chilly fairly rapidly... fortunately I was able to grab my windbreaker out of the car as I came back through the Nisky Lions Park.

Started out riding west... along the way spotted ducks, geese, and even an egret off in the marshes near the beaver pond. Water in the river is the highest I've seen it in months (probably since late spring.) Work on the new Niska Isle bridge is proceeding well - looks like it might be open for traffic soon, which makes me wonder when they'll tear down the old bridge (and if they'll remove the "road" they built across the mouth of the Lisha Kill to provide construction access.) Stopped at Lock 7 to take some photos of the water roaring over the dam. At the base of the old landfill I was overcome by a moment of insanity and decided to ride up the hill to Blatnick Park... something I really should have done more often this year, since hills have been kicking my backside in a big way.

It was getting dark as I headed east from the park, so I was glad I'd transferred a light from my mountain bike (my preference for riding in the dark) to my road bike... I definitely needed it for most of the 2nd half of tonight's ride. Passed a couple of other riders with lights shining brightly, including two fellows with incredible lights - the first time I saw them I thought there was a car coming down the path toward me!

I can't say I enjoy riding in the dark as much as I enjoy running in the dark -partially because I have to have a light to ride and partially because there's just something about balancing on two wheels when I can only see the path a few feet ahead of me that causes concern... plus the fact that usually if I'm riding in the dark it's probably cold! But on a warm fall night like tonight riding in the dark is definitely much better than no riding at all.

JMH