Sunday, March 13, 2011

Feathered Friends
Sunday, March 13, 2011

Our feathered friends continue to provide entertainment and general coolness...

  • Looked out the window this morning and there was a mourning dove sitting on the roof of my car... guess it offered a good vantage point for scoping out the bird feeder. After a bit he waddled forward to just above the windshield... I half expected him to slide down the glass, but eventually he flew down instead.






  • After lunch at a chinese buffet as Ann and I were getting ready to leave a gull flew down and attacked a styrofoam container in the parking lot in front of my car. Turns out he hit the big time - there was some sort of chicken or fish sandwich inside. The first gull flew off with a huge chunk of bread in his beak when I got out of the car to grab my camera from the back seat, then a second one flew in and attacked the chunk of meat left behind. While we watched he ripped and tore at it... and then the first gull returned. A shrieking match ensued, followed by a very brief gull fight, and then the 2nd gull somehow managed to cram a huge piece of food in his mouth, before flying off to enjoy his bounty.













  • This evening as I was getting ready to head back home a group of geese flew overhead... almost completely silent, except for an occasional quiet rasp. Ann realized fairly quickly that they were snow geese. My camera was packed away... but yesterday I'd taken a photo of geese flying and it turned out they were snow geese too, so that's the photo that's below. You can tell they're not Canada geese by their markings - light bellies and wings, with dark wingtips. (Clicking on the photo should produce a larger image with more detail visible.)

JMH