Sunday, March 27, 2011

WONDERFUL SUNSHINE - BUT DANG THAT WIND IS COLD!
9.1 Mile Run on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Sunday, March 27, 2011

Finally dragged myself out the door this afternoon to get in the second run of the weekend... ended up over at the bike path for a variety of reasons. While things felt pretty comfortable when I walked out the door, the wind was blasting on the path and I quickly wondered if shorts were such a good idea. Fortunately I had enough gear for my upper body and head that it was doable...

Lots of ducks and geese along the way, and it looks like they weren't thrilled with the wind either - they were mostly clustered in the out-of-the-way bays and inlets. Spotted the usual mallards plus mergansers (both common and hooded), green-winged teals, and ring-necked ducks. There was also a good-sized group of gulls further along, including one very large fellow that I suspect was an immature greater black-backed gull. And it was nice to see a couple of herons back! I also watched a muskrat scurry across the path, and later on two red squirrels zipped across just ahead of me.

The path out to Lock 7 Road was clear, then it was mixed patches of snow and ice/pavement all the way to the old landfill and the Hill. Stopped at Lock 7 briefly - water's a good deal lower than the last time I was there. I even managed to convince myself to run up the Hill to Blatnick Park... that was fun, running uphill with the wind trying to blow me back down...

But it was worth it when I reached the top, just to see the Canada geese on the baseball field... though I'm not sure they understand the game. I'm pretty ignorant about sports and even I know the outfielders should be spread out and someone needs to be covering the bases.

The run back was somewhat more enjoyable, with the wind at my back... though when I got back to the parking lot and saw I only had eight miles, I gave in to insanity and kept going for another half mile or so before turning around. Of course that meant I ran the last half mile heading into the wind that seemed to be getting colder and colder, but at least that meant I was well and truly done by the time I got back to the car... and 9 miles is nothing to sneeze at, especially after yesterday's run/hike on the Nipmuck trail.

JMH