Monday, April 18, 2011

1.9 Mile Walk in the Pine Bush
Monday, April 18, 2011

I had hoped to get out on the bike tonight but really couldn't get into the thought of riding in the cold rain... so I headed over to a section of the Pine Bush I rarely visit (both because it's out-of-the-way and because the trail there is fairly short), the Kings Highway Barrens. The trail is a wide fire road that loops through the area over a variety of terrain, mostly flat but with some short hills, through meadows, evergreen forests, and hardwood stands. There's also a few sections that show clear signs of disturbance sometime in the past, which makes me think the area may have undergone some minor development at one point. I also found a discarded sign for the Pine Bush Farm from 1986, which makes me wonder if this was one of the first sections set aside for conservation - I'll have to dig out the books I have on the Pine Bush and see if any of them talk about the history of the Preserve.

The rain was pretty consistent the whole time I was there, but I have to say I'd rather be walking in the rain than riding in it.

JMH