Friday, May 13, 2011

0.7 Mile Walk Around Buckingham Lake
Friday, May 13, 2011

I had thought I might stop at Ooms Conservation Area on my way to Connecticut, but ended up leaving later than I originally intended and that meant changing plans a bit to a shorter walk around Buckingham Lake. No sign of Momma Mallard and her crew of fuzzy young 'uns, but I did see a fairly large snapping turtle and also fish guarding their "nests" (at least that's what I've always assumed they are) and the typical assortment of male mallards hanging out along the shore in several spots. A number of the trees are also in full bloom, which is both fragrant and very nice to look at. So while it wasn't quite the walk I had hoped to do today, it was still a pleasant chance to be outdoors before sitting in the car for 2 3/4 hours. And I suspect I wll get in plenty of time on my feet tomorrow on Block Island, between the 10k trail race and my desire to revisit some of the areas I remember exploring 15 years ago when I was last there.

JMH