Monday, September 26, 2011

13.1 Mile Ride on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Monday, September 26, 2011

Finally got back out on the bike tonight... seems like my body is adjusting to being back to work, I was tired when I got home but didn't end up falling asleep before I could get changed and head outdoors. Legs were definitely tired from yesterday, which made it easy to keep my ride relatively short - even though I've got 20 miles of riding coming up this weekend at the Rochester Autumn Classic Du, at this point hammering my legs into mush isn't going to do any good.

The parking lot at the Niskayuna Lions Park was closed - looks like they might be planning to repave it - so I parked at Lock 7 and headed west toward the old landfill, then east to the wastewater treatment plant and back to the car. Mosquitoes were brutal, just like almost every time I've been outdoors in the last couple of weeks. Along the way I spotted a couple of herons and quite a few geese and ducks - and what looked like a juvenile eagle in the dead tree out on the river. I haven't seen any eagles around here at all this summer, so that was a welcome sight.

The only annoying part were some of the other riders on the bike path - a number of them buzzed by me and either passed way too close for my comfort or cut back in in front of my far too soon. And yet no doubt they would be the first to whine about it if we had collided. What a bunch of self-centered fools.

JMH