Monday, January 02, 2012

WINDY... BRRR...
14.6 Mile Ride on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Monday, January 2, 2012

Another day where I'd planned to run and did something else instead... given the cold weather that's on the way and the limited chances I have to ride during daylight hours in the winter, I loaded the bike on the car and headed over to the bike path for a bit of pedalling. Just as well, too... despite air temperature in the mid-to-high 30's, the wind was blowing pretty briskly, making it effectively a lot colder. If I'd gone running I'd have probably underdressed and frozen my backside off.

It feels like it's been forever since I was last on the bike (actually, five weeks...) so I was a bit surprised that riding felt pretty good initially... though in the end my legs got tired a lot quicker than they would have if I'd been riding more consistently over the past year. Of course the cold air didn't help, nor did battling a stiff headwind for half the ride. In the end I stuck to the relatively flat sections of the path - between the wind and my grumbling knees, it didn't seem worth it to battle my way up any of the steeper hills. There'll be more time for that once warmer weather gets here...

JMH