Friday, March 09, 2012

2.1 Mile Walk at Buckingham Lake
Friday, March 9, 2012

I had originally thought to go for a short run or a ride after work, but ended up dozong off on the couch instead - which might have been just as well, since at some point while I was dozing there was a brief snow squall.

Despite the cold weather yesterday and today, Buckingham Lake was clear of ice and the ducks were back in force, squawking away at each other. I spent a few minutes tossing them some cracked corn, then walked around the lake. Since I was wearing my mud boots, at the far end I followed one of the unofficial paths into the woods, thinking it would take me past the overflow pond to the next street. Instead, I found that it climbed a wooded hill to a spot with a nice view of the surrounding homes - a little bit of wild in the midst of the Albany suburbs.

The sky over the lake was very busy while I was there, with groups of ducks taking off and coming in to land. The ducks on the water were very vocal (much like the geese last night) - I wonder if that has something to do with the rapidly approaching breeding seasons.

JMH