Friday, November 23, 2012

CAN TURTLES FIX BIKES?
Friday, November 23, 2012

I suppose it depends on the turtle and on what needs fixing on the bike...

In this case, two of Ann's bikes were down for the count, and since that's her primary means to getting back and forth to work (because parking costs an outrageous amount) it's important to have them rolling again.

I tackled the backup, her mountain bike, first. Two broken links on the chain. So I sized a new chain and installed it... then had to take it apart again because I hadn't threaded it through the front derailleur, and the screw holding the derailleur closed was stripping when I tried to take it apart. Idiot! But the nice thing about replacing chains is it's not too difficult, as long as you're slow and careful so you don't push the rivet all the way out. But it is definitely a grungy job.

Then I went after her primary ride, an ancient steel 12 speed. The initial problem there was a flat, aggravated by the fact that after she replaced the dead tube, the next morning she found the tire flat again. Replaced both tires and tubes, the latter with ones that have some flat-sealing gunk in them - in general I don't like that stuff (it's clogged too many of my air valves) but she rides through enough nasty pointy stuff that's it's a worthwhile extra precaution. Also tightened the front axle a bit and cleaned/lubed the chain, plus I removed a few items she isn't using (bike computer, pump bracket, etc.)

Unfortunately with the cold weather returning I don't have much hope I'll get her to test the bikes out on the street tomorrow... hopefully they will hold up for her trips to and from work for the foreseeable future.

JMH