Wednesday, November 21, 2012

MIGHT AS WELL FACE IT...
No Seashore Nature Trail 50k for the Turtle
Wednesday, November 21, 2012

I haven't run for almost two weeks, and my foot hasn't bounced back to normal... more like a slow crawl punctuated by occasionally being dragged backwards every once in a while when I do something stupid. I suspect this is going to be a slow-healing injury that I'm going to have to manage carefully so that I can be ready for the Big Island Marathon in March and Rock the Ridge in May - and attempting a 50k after little or no running for 6 weeks doesn't qualify as careful management. In any case, the 50k was going to be a struggle after spending November training for it - as things stand now, it's questionable if I'd even be able to finish in 8 1/2 hours, regardless of the state it would leave my foot in afterwards.

So I'm doing the smart, mature thing and pulling myself out of the 50k, growling and snarling all the way, damn it.

Hopefully taking it easy for the next month or so will leave me in a better place going into snowshoe season and next year's running season. And in the meantime I'll try to do some thinking and see if I can figure out how to have my running in 2013 not suck nearly as much as I did in 2012.

Can we have some cheese to go with all this whine? Sigh.

JMH