Monday, November 12, 2012

MORNING CRITTERS
2.5 Mile Walk at Five Rivers EEC
Monday, November 12, 2012

After yesterday's aborted trip to Five Rivers, I decided to take advantage of the nice weather and a day off from work to make a rare early morning visit, reasoning that (1) there wouldn't be too many people around, and (2) the critters would probably be more active than they are mid-day. And happily I was right on both accounts - enough so that it made up for having to get up early on a day off.

I heard lots of woodpeckers today and spotted a few too - a couple of small downy's, and also a couple of pilated woodpeckers, including one which I had a fairly good view of for a while. Lots of small birds as well, especially chickadees (they seemed to be everywhere.) I even shot some slightly blurry video of a what I think was a wren singing very loudly.

The Beaver Pond hosted a heron which I startled initially but then seemed pretty cool about my hanging back on the trees taking pictures. The water was the highest I've seen it in some time, I would imagine in part due to the rain we've had recently but also because I think the beavers have raised the height of their dam along the edge of the spillway. The Heron Pond was also looking good, and the very itchy duck mob was hanging out on the fallen tree - some snoozing, most itching. I used to think they were so itchy because of feathers growing on but after months now - I wonder if they have mites or some other sort of parasite?

Wandered over to the smaller ponds past the old orchard and spent a while watching and photographing a red-tailed hawk that perched in several trees along the access road. Not much else going on in those ponds at the moment.

It was tough to tear myself away but I did want to get out on my bike and maybe walk at one or two other places today... and perhaps it was just as well, since more people were starting to arrive, complete with noisy children...

JMH