Friday, December 07, 2012

LIGHTLY RAINING...
1.4 Mile Walk at Buckingham Lake
Friday, December 7, 2012

By the time I got home from work my walking options were very limited, at least if I wanted to be done before it got too dark. Plus the original plan was to head down to southeastern CT tonight, before heading to RI early tomorrow morning for a potential sighting of the Rome Point seals. And I haven't been to Buckingham Lake in a while...

After all the people who hang out there in the summer, it always amuses me to show up on an afternoon like today (chilly, dim, and rainy) and see almost nobody. Sometimes it definitely makes for a more pleasant walk!


There was a very light layer of ice on the water - you could hear it chiming as the rain hit it - and a decent-sized group of ducks either standing precariously on the ice or paddling in places where they'd broken through. They were a lot jumpier than usual, possibly because the ice makes it hard for them to get away without flying.


I circled the pond in each direction, enjoying the emptiness of the path, the lights shining in the dim evening, and the sound of the very light rain. I was almost tempted to do a third loop - it felt good to be outdoors after being in the classroom all day - but decided to head home instead, so I wouldn't get on the road too awfully late.


Except that over the course of dinner and wrapping things up so I could go, I found myself dozing off in a variety of locations... checked the weather forecast for Rome Point (rain all morning)... and ultimately decided to eat the loss of my Choice Rewards points (it was too late to cancel tonight's room) in favor of getting a bit more sleep. Don't know yet if I'll leave super-early and try to see the seals, or at a slightly more reasonable time and try to get to southern RI after the rain has let up... morning will tell...

JMH