Sunday, August 04, 2013

No Indian Ladder Trail Race For the Turtle... Sigh...
Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Indian Ladder 15k was the first trail race I ever did (way back in 1998) and is also one of the races I've done the most number of times, so it holds a special place in my heart, and despite being injured I really wanted to participate in some way. I signed up for both races this year (same price as signing up for one, and a number of distance runners actually do both races) figuring that left my options open to do the 15k if my knee healed up or the 3.5 mi if it didn't... if nothing else I could walk the latter in an hour or less.

Except - we had a lot we wanted to get done before heading over to Syracuse this afternoon (so Ann could pick up her truck and head home for work tomorrow morning) and in the end spending a couple hours driving to Thacher, hobbling through the short race, and then driving back here was going to mean getting off to a pretty late departure this afternoon. So I decided a less rushed morning and afternoon was preferable to "running" the race this year - especially since I probably would have been disappointed with my performance (no doubt even slower than the last time I ran the short course, after having completed the long course a few minutes before.)

It was the right decision... but it's still tough to miss a race that's pretty significant to me, especially on the heels of missing so many other runs this spring and summer.

JMH