Friday, November 01, 2013

LAST EVENING OF DAYLIGHT RIDING FOR A WHILE...
11.5 Mile Ride on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Friday, November 1, 2013

... and even tonight I needed a light for the last 2 1/2 miles or so. But after we switch back to Standard Time early Sunday morning, I can expect about two months of doing all my after-work outdoor activities in the dark. Wahoo...

Today was atypically warm - almost warm enough that I could have ridden without a jacket - and after the storm blew through this morning we had lots of sunshine. Unfortunately by the time I got to the bike path there was only a little over half an hour until sunset, so I did most of tonight's ride in the dusk. Even so, it was pretty darn pleasant to be out on such a nice evening.

On the way back to the car there was a bird calling down in one of the marshy areas along the river... I managed to record it and after a lot of searching finally identified it as an eastern screech owl.


According to the Cornell Ornithology Lab, I recorded a screech owl's descending whinny used to defend territory (perhaps that's why the owl didn't respond when I tried imitating the call - or maybe I just make a lousy screech owl) with a bit of monotonic trilling at about the 50 sec mark.

JMH