Thursday, December 12, 2013

BRRR...
12.6 Mile Ride on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Thursday, December 12, 2013

Managed to get out of work while there was still daylight, so I bundled up and headed over to the bike path to try and get a little closer to that next century mark. Between snow in the forecast and some really cold temperatures sweeping in - it's not clear at all how many more times I'll get out to ride before the end of the year.

I was worried about the cold and wind so I really layered - two pairs of thermal tights below, a thermal shirt, pullover, fleece-lined jacket, and windbreaker up top, double neck/chin gaiter, and hat/180s under my helmet. I have to say, for the most part I was pretty darn toasty once I got going. Only points of trouble were my feet - even with thermal socks and the toe covers on my shoes, my toes froze - and my pinky fingers. Maybe I'll try doubling the socks next time...

Parts of the bike path were fairly clear, and parts had a light layer of snow - no problems there. No surprise, didn't run into too many other people out there and no one else on a bike.

It was just starting to get dark when I wrapped up - I would have loved to turn on my light and stay out for a few more miles, but my feet were just too darn cold.

Hopefully I can get out a few more times before the end of the year!

JMH