Thursday, January 23, 2014

NO SNOWSHOEING IN SIGHT...
Thursday, January 23, 2014

Well... technically, that's not true, since Sunday the Dion WMAC series will finally kick off with the Sidehiller race up in NH... and it should be on snowshoes to boot (though last I heard with a greatly modified course.) But so far we've cancelled or postponed 5 races and the forecast is not so great for next weekend either...

What this reminds me the most of is my first season of snowshoeing, which followed a similar pattern... a couple of races with great snow and then not much else for the rest of the season, with a lot of races held either as trail runs or cancelled. Except this season the good snow happened about two weeks before the start of the season... and conditions have been pretty poor ever since.

Of course, it's probably all my fault... I purchased several new sets of snowshoes at the end of the season last year...

On the plus side, I've gotten to spend more time with Ann so far this season, since I'm not traveling to races in eastern NY and western New England, and I'll get to do a few events I might have otherwise missed (like the upcoming Highland Forest 10k... which I suspect will be a trail run...)

And now that I've actually qualified for Nationals... I hope we get some snow in the next month both so that I can actually train a bit and so that they are actually SNOWSHOE Nationals... right now I believe Prospect Mtn XC Ski Center is closed due to the difficulty of skiing on ice and bare ground...

JMH