Tuesday, July 15, 2014

16.8 Mile Ride on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Tuesday, July 15, 2014

 It's never a good sign when a ride starts with a flat before even leaving the house... though today it was an easy "fix", since I have a spare front wheel I've wanted to try out. So I swapped wheels and headed over to the SCCC parking lot for a ride on the western stretch of the bike path.

I wasn't sure exactly how far I wanted to go today, but as I rode it was very clear my legs are still recovering from almost 60 miles of riding and a very tough 15k this weekend. The tracks were blocked at Scrafford Lane, so I took that as a sign to keep the ride shorter. I did go up and over the bridge crossing the river at the Thruway-890-5S interchange - originally to get some shots of the river, but then I decided to see what was on the other side, and found that the paved path goes all the way to a Park-and-Ride lot - another potential spot to ride out of.

Lots of birds along the way, especially catbirds. I also passed two groups of wood ducks, a group of geese, and a pair of kingfishers in the old canal. And not too many other people on the path, which is always nice.

JMH